Monday, November 6, 2023

Crafty Projects

 Greetings!

I hope you'll enjoy looking at some crafty projects I've been doing recently. 

I water-colored this autumn tree yesterday.
One of my favorite pictures to paint this fall has been a mill house with autumn colors suggesting a hill of deciduous trees in the background. But when I add those beautiful oranges, yellows and reds to the background, all of the sudden my mill house is about to be engulfed in flames!
 It can be difficult to give the impression of autumn colors without also hinting at eminent catastrophe; especially when I'm painting a forest of trees. So I did what I should have done long before; I looked at a tutorial . After implementing some of the techniques in my own way, I am satisfied with the result and hope to make my trees more realistic in the future.

I've made some Cowboy Christmas/winter cards to sell at a local shop. I have made them in 2 sizes; the larger size has sentiments inside while the smaller cards are blank.




 I made 3 categories of "sentimental" cards: encouragement, birthday and Christmas. Each of them have western sentiments for the occasion. Here's an example of an encouragement card.

I am making progress on my quilt, which features English Paper Piecing
(The process I was taught and the one in the tutorial are very similar; I baste my fabric "hexies" around the paper hexies instead of gluing them.)

I have yet to applique some of my hexagon circles to quilt blocks.

I hope to add a few more colors to my quilt, but for now I have teal and bright green.

As you can see, the circles are quite large when finished. The quilt blocks are 20" squares, so I don't have to make too many of them to make a big quilt; perhaps 3 blocks across and 5 down. 
I plan to put a large border of color around the finished blocks and sashing to make the finished quilt twin or double sized.
This is a picture of one of my quilt blocks folded in quarters. I just thought that it would make a pretty block by itself with the hexagon corner embellishment. This would be neat for napkins or fan-quilt style blocks. 

To finish, here's some Autumn Morning pictures from the high desert.


to God be the glory,
Miss Humphrey 



6 comments:

  1. How beautiful! I love everything you shared here. Your watercolor is lovely, your western cards are so cute - I would totally buy them if they were in a shop near me - and your quilting project is just amazing! I hope that in the future you'll be able to share the finished quilt, which I'm sure will be stunning. You are such a talented young lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I definitely plan to share my quilt when it is done :)

      Delete
  2. It's nice to see some of your other creative outlets. The hexies are especially interesting to me because I recall that my great-grandmother had a bunch of these for one of her quilt projects, and I was puzzled by the paper backing. Now I know what it was for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Paper piecing is really a neat craft. I like that I can sew hexies while listening to my mother read aloud for school, and thus have something to do with my hands. A quick tip: we punch our paper hexagons out of sturdy junk mail. It's a great way to use up the stuff.

      Delete
  3. Everything is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Please keep comments sweet and on-topic. Comments are moderated.

Free-Hand Nightgown

 Hello Readers, I made a nightgown recently that I thought I'd share with you. It is a very simply, but comfy design that is easily made...