Tuesday, December 19, 2023

Time for a Christmas Dress!

 Hello all,

I'm finally back with a project that I'm excited to show you: a Christmas dress! 

This dress took portions of two days to make, and the sewing process was very smooth compared to many dresses I've wrestled with! 


I apologize for the lesser quality of some of my photos. I think I'll switch over to a new camera soon.



The dress features a long, full pleated skirt. 


I top-stitched ~4-5 inches down the front pleats so the pleats would not flare out in places they were not wanted :)


The sleeves turned out VERY puffy, so I put a tuck in each one to gather in some of the excess and shape the sleeve. I remember first noticing this style on a dress that my grandmother had made, and was inspired by it. 
Making a tuck like this is very easy - turn the sleeve inside out and sew the two layers (front and back) together, vertically, near the edge of the sleeve. 


When you turn the sleeve back right-side-out, you'll have a cute sleeve tuck. 


For the collar on this dress I was inspired by this blouse. I like the idea of a collar that is sewn into the shoulder seams instead of wrapping all the way around the back of the dress. Instead of the collar ending in a charming tie however, I pulled the ends down into the waistline.


To God be the glory, 
Miss Humphrey


4 comments:

  1. Beautiful!! I would like to know what the blouse was that you used for your idea. I love tge collaridea. The back of collars usually are hard to keep straight anyway or they aren’t seen at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Here's a link to where I saw this blouse: https://verityvintagestudio.typepad.com/my-blog/2022/11/sunshine-camomile-blog-tour-polka-dot-blouse-ruffly-dress.html

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Please keep comments sweet and on-topic. Comments are moderated.

Prairie Tea

 Hello readers, I want to thank you for continuing to visit my blog, even though my posting has become sporadic at times. I really appreciat...