Thursday, July 18, 2024

Wild Strawberries and the Old West

 Hello all, and thanks for reading today!


This was my most recent sewing project, completed in 11 days of inconsistent work on it. 


 

 The shirt was a gift for my mother's birthday and I went to town a bit with extra details. The most fun part was seeing it done, of course, but the construction went fairly smoothly, which is not always the case for me :) Collared shirts used to seem daunting, but with the pattern I have they are actually not scary at all. Unless you are afraid of interfacing and pattern instructions, you should be able to make one of these :)

I should mention, like I did in the first post where I reviewed this pattern, that the instruction to attach the front of the shoulders to the back of the shoulders is MISSING. So if you are considering purchasing this pattern be aware of that!

Also, my collars (I will not say the pattern collars) turn out so thick in their construction that I don't like to use the snap at the very top of the collar. I left it off of this shirt because I was low on snaps and I knew my mother felt the same way about tight collars that I do. My little brother calls the top button the "choker button." 

I made my own twist on this pattern by curving the collar, making short sleeves, adding my own sleeve cuff details, and curving the bottom of the pockets inwards a bit more among other things.


 
 
I would have added more of those fun pearl snaps to the sleeves and pocket flaps except I only had enough to do the main shirt closure. So I did a little cross-stitch to ornament the non-functional sleeve tabs while keeping them attached to the sleeve. 

This is the second time I've made this pattern, (here's the first time) and both times I used "upcycled" fabric, aka, fabric from the skirts of dresses I had made a few years ago that I hadn't worn much and didn't like. I like re-purposing fabric in this way, and since most of my skirts from this era had ~2 or more yards of fabric in them, they are easily turned into something else :)

to God be the glory,
Miss Humphrey

 

4 comments:

  1. I am very impressed. Collars and sleeves seem very difficult to get absolutely right. You are well on your way to professional seamstress designation ! Love the fabric. Happy birthday Mrs Humphries.

    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely! I would be so happy if my daughter sewed me a shirt like that. It's adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...She liked it! It was awfully fun to sew something and see her wear it...she knew I was making it but had no idea it was for her!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Please keep comments sweet and on-topic. Comments are moderated.

In Other News...

Hello All, My mother and I went to the Sisters Quilt Show in Mid July. There were some gorgeous quilts there, and we walked in the beating ...