Tuesday, February 27, 2024

Every Little Girl Wants A Twirly Dress

Hello All,
Recently I made my first little girl's dress. I made it free-hand style, using most of the same techniques I'd use to make a dress for myself. Girl's dresses are so much easier to make than women's clothing!


I didn't have a pattern to reference for girl's size 7-8, which was the size of the recipient, so I mostly went off of some measurements we found on the back of a pattern catalog. I only used a few, making this one of the most "free-handed" dresses ever. 
It turns out, you don't need every pattern made to make the style of dress you want. Have confidence in your abilities. You can design anything you like, and you can sew anything you can design, with practice.


A sweetheart neckline for a sweet little girl...
A short slit in the back for ease of putting on closes with a button and elastic loop. Another dress that I didn't have to put a zipper in = happiness and fond memories.

Little girls aren't the only ones who like circle dresses. I confess to having 3 in my collection right now with plans for another at some point. I did outgrow one of them, made of a lightweight pink fabric, but I couldn't stand to repurpose it. It holds too many happy, summery, running-through-the desert-grass-and-breeze feelings that are worth feeling again.


to God be the glory,
Miss Humphrey

2 comments:

  1. Darling little dress! I love your memories of running through the grass and feeling the breeze...Beautiful. I can relate to those feelings and not wanting to repurpose an item.

    Blessings! ~Mrs. Amelia

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Please keep comments sweet and on-topic. Comments are moderated.

Prairie Tea

 Hello readers, I want to thank you for continuing to visit my blog, even though my posting has become sporadic at times. I really appreciat...