Monday, June 19, 2023

How I Made This Dress, Part 3...Finishing Up

When I have the bodice completely done on a dress, I have usually passed all the hard work. Just have to attach a simple skirt, and I'll be done! 

Not so with circle dresses. Those can be finicky to the very end. 

And not so with the tiered skirt to this dress, because I had a lot of work ahead of me to make all those gathers!

My mother told me how to do a tiered skirt. Here's the "formula" I used for how long each of my panels needed to be.

Here's how I did my panels...


I cut a panel and sewed the ends together (right sides together) to make a round. On one of the panels, I had to add extra yardage to make it the right length. This dress fit easily into 4 yards of fabric, using the excess from one panel to complete another.


I sewed 2 rows of gathers on one edge.


It would have been cute to just hem the bottom of this panel and have a blouse!


I gathered the second panel until it fit pretty well with my last panel, then sewed it up!


To this I added a short panel to complete the skirt.
I made a sash out of the dress material, and I was...done!!

Here's some more dress pictures.


Hope you enjoyed this dress-making process!

to God be the glory,
Miss Humphrey














2 comments:

  1. Beautifully done, beautifully feminine, and well worth the effort!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Please keep comments sweet and on-topic. Comments are moderated.

Free-Hand Nightgown

 Hello Readers, I made a nightgown recently that I thought I'd share with you. It is a very simply, but comfy design that is easily made...